Monday, November 8, 2010

Cootes Paradise. Hamilton .....

The "war" on the Cootes Paradise squatters ....












OK - I admit I didn't take this shot!! Here's the story behind the photo ....
While researching my previous post (I was trying to find out where the name Cootes Paradise came from) and I came across a webpage from historycooperative.org, that included this picture as part of its narrative.
Apparently around 1912 Hamilton's population exploded as people came to work in the city's heavy industries, and affordable housing was very scarce.
Some workers built themselves "boathouses" on land in Cootes Paradise - later, someone else wanted the land!
I'm not going to say any more here, but if you are interested, and fancy a good read - then go here to the History Cooperative page .....
http://www.historycooperative.org/journals/llt/51/bouchier.html

No comments: