Monday, October 4, 2010

Hamilton ....

The Hamilton Museum of Steam and Technology ....
This building houses two 45 ft high, 70 ton, steam rotary beam engines, and believe me, they are beautiful ....




























The arc of the massive 22 ton flywheels can be seen here through the engine-house windows. I had a booklet giving all the specs and history, but of course, I can't find it now :-(

















I took this place it for granted every time I drove past it (nearly every day for the past three years).
Although some fascinating sites are on your doorstep, somehow you never seem to get around to visiting them, do you?
To me (a retired machine builder) it is absolutely gorgeous!! The inside is something else, and I'm afraid my photos don't do it justice. I'm going to pay it another call, and next time ....
Here's an unofficial link to it. I think it's better than the official one ....
http://www.myhamilton.ca/organizations/hamilton-museum-steam-technology
The engines are the last intact in North America, and were manufactured in Dundas, just up the road!

No comments: