Friday, January 1, 2010

Maybe you are - but I'm not ....

The Winter Olympics slogan in a local bus shelter .....

Retailers are pushing Canadian Winter Olympics clothing here like crazy. I've had a look at some of it, and although the designs are very good, and the quality looks above average, I'm afraid I have lost interest.

All the clothing I looked at was marketed by the Hudson's Bay Company (one of the oldest Canadian companies, but now American owned).

In previous Olympic years the Canadian team's clothing was made by Roots in Canada, as it should be.

This year the variety is excellent, the colours are great, and the quality looks good, but it was all made in China.

I'm all for competition in business, but let's keep it fair and on a "level playing field" - as it's so often said. This playing field is certainly not level - it has a huge gradient - in China's favour.

So I'll try to level it a little bit, by buying as little as possible from that country.
We've just bought a new sofa and love seat, but it wasn't made in China, or Canada for that matter - it was made in the USA. We could have paid a lot less for a Chinese furniture but decided not to.

Say no more - Chinese made Canadian Vancouver Winter Olympic clothing can rot on the shelf .....

No comments: