Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Oystermouth .....

Tivoli Amusements. I remember it as a dark cavernous cinema turned dance hall .....


Some steps leading to a house that's just been sold. I wonder if they'll survive the upcoming renovation ....


Princes Fountain and Fountain Cottage. The fountain was built in 1863 to commemorate the Prince of Wales wedding to Princess Alexandra on March 10 of that year. The Prince was later to become King Edward VII. The fountain was also the villages' first reliable supply of drinking water and was crucial to improving public health in the area.


Three boozers. The Mumbles Rugby Club, the Oystermouth Social Club, and the William Hancock. Take your pick .....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watch Jims page every day. I'm a Mumbles boy, spent some good years in the 60's there. I remember the Tivoli when the Townhill boys came down to fight with the Munbles boys! saw some real impressive fights there! I was also a long time practise of the Mumbles mile! I've been living in the USA for some 35 years now, and I miss the Mumbles like hell. Sites like yours and Jims bring back the old days, Thanks mate. John Ridd.

The Chippbutty said...

Thanks for your comments John. My sister lives in the Thistleboon area of Mumbles. We had three great weeks there this summer. Swansea has changed a lot. Thankfully the Mumbles and the beautiful Gower are much the same as we knew them. We left for Burlington, Canada in the early eighties.