Friday, August 29, 2008

Mumbles Railway

Below is a photo of a painting in my home in Canada by "I Web" or "J Web" - I can't quite make the name out - can anybody help??
It's of the Mumbles Train approaching Southend station on the way to Swansea. The view is from a long gone footbridge over the line.
About 45 years ago I took a black and white photo of this very same scene, and lent it to my barber, a Mr Bryn Parkyn - (also artist) of Killay, Swansea, who wanted to use it for a painting.
He used to hang and sell the paintings in his barbershop opposite St Hillary's Church in Killay.
I never had the photo back, but on past visits to Swansea I've seen souvenir postcards in W H Smith and other stores that are identical to my pic and I wonder ......

5 comments:

Jim said...

Super painting

Unknown said...

YES Bryn Parking was my great uncle and I have a copy-print of this painting and some orginals of others. He was quite a character and a good artist.

The Chippbutty said...

Steve, thanks very much for your comment, and for the information. You are quite correct - Bryn was a very good artist.
I have to ask you if there are any big differences between your copy and my painting, which was done by another artist.
Also, do you know what happened to the original B&W photo?? I don't want it back or anything, but it would be good to perhaps get a print of it. Maybe you could suggest where I may be able to get a reprint - for old time's sake!!
Thanks once again Steve.
Jeff Chipps.
jeffchipps@yahoo.ca

Major Lloyd said...

Bryn was my Grandfather, I have this painting and quite possibly your photograph in amongst his things. Next time I'm in Swansea I'll have a look, Christian Lloyd

The Chippbutty said...

Christian, thank you very very much for your surprising and highly welcome comment!!
I used to visit Bryn about once every two weeks, as my hair used to grow like dandelions in springtime! Not now though :-(
I'll always remember his shop full of paintings - it was like getting a haircut in an art gallery!!
If you want to email me, my address is on an earlier comment left by "Steve" who said Bryn was his great uncle!
Thank you once again for your comment - it's made my day!!!

Th